Friday, December 23, 2011

Where's the party?

Like most of the Med, Ibiza is a ghost town in winter. We took the bus into the town of Evissa and the old fort of dalt Vila a unesco heritage site. I was not charmed. Ibiza is billed as a hedonistic party town for the last forty years and seems to have more than it's share of leftover party goers. Some of which have probably been there for forty years. It has it's own DJ celebrity who is now a music producer and expert marketer, with a shop called "F*** me, I'm famous!" that about sums it up. When we got back from the restaurant with Internet, the gate was closed and we were locked out, it said to call this number for entry, but we didn't have a phone. There was nothing for it but to jump the fence, Serge goes first and no sooner am I straddling the eight foot fence when I hear the guard ask us what we were doing. I start laughing, and soon he is too. Good thing there was no dog! Serge decides he needs an X-ray at 3 pm the next day so we make a stop at the hospital in the smaller town we're in to discover they have no machine, check at the private clinic. On our way we stop at a health food store where they tell us there is no X-ray machine in this town. I ask him, "Do you really want to take their word for it?" and when we see a sign for an osteopath I go in and he tells us, yes, just around the corner at the clinic. When we walk in we seem to have disturbed the doctor, Serge thinks he may have been drinking, His red rimmed eyes suggest to me he may have been sleeping one off. He palates the hand, he too thinks it broken, we need an X-ray, (for this I need a doctor?) the X-ray shows a fracture, the doctor says,"like when you punch something.". Wow, he's psychic too. We talk about the options, rule out surgery which would hardly make any difference anyway, and he suggests immobilization, a cast would be ideal. But Serge needs his mobility, so brightening like he just thought of it, he shows us what he can do for it. He cuts two little pieces of tape, and tapes the baby and ring finger together (for this we need a doctor?). I wonder how much this treatment is going to cost us. 120 euros, including the X-ray it turns out. I guess as far as tuition for anger management goes, it's a bargain. As we leave the office another patient is sitting in the waiting room with his shoe off. His baby toe is taped to the next one. This guy gets a lot of mileage out of his tape. Maybe that's how he treats everyone, no matter what the problem is. Trouble with your shoulder? Here, let me tape your arm to your body. Tummy ache? Let me tape your lips together. Trouble seeing? Let me tape your eyelids to your ears. Anyway,all of this to confirm what Serge already knew, his finger was broken, and now there is nothing to do about it but let it heal.

2 comments: